Sunday, July 26, 2015

Section 32 - Controls - build time 1121 hours

Deep into the section for installing the controls. It's going very slow as most of the stuff is hard to reach and difficult to see. It would be very difficult for a large person to do this work and I've seen some folks turn the hole thing on it's side for access. It would make sense but I'm not sure how well the side would support the structure and I don't want to see it fall to the ground this far along. I assume I'm doing what everyone does - going slowly, cussing and hitting the hot tub to work out all the kinks. I had hoped to blow through this section but everything needs attention. There was powder coat in some threads and other threads the clad is so thick that the bering will need to be run down it or I'll have to buy a die and chase the threads. Also, this section expects that section 12 be completed at this point. Section 12 is attaching the tail feathers and it would like to see section 11 completed which is all the faring work on the empennage. I put that off since I didn't see any point in attaching the rudder and stabilator until needed and that time has come. It will be nice to look at but I don't think I can leave the stabilator on in the shop. It's 8 feet wide and that's pretty much all I have.
I also shot some gloss black paint on the panel and the flap handle. If you want to get good at painting use gloss black and if you want to make sure you have no orange peel don't start with any in the primer. This is the second attempt at the panel and the third at the handle. The first attempts had lint in them and I cleaned everything and tried again and it came out acceptable. If I do it again I won't
 do black. While painting I bumped into the flap handle so it had to be sanded and painted again. It turned out pretty nice. I'm using SW JetGlo which is pretty high end urethane and as always - don't breath any of this crap.
The handle came out nice. Here is the mixer horn - not too hard to install but the bottom washer was a bit of a hassle.
Another shot of the mixer horn.
The bottom bolts were a real pain. They have steel washers that don't fit until you gently spread the fork apart. It takes two hands and you have to hold the control stick still with your feet. I used a big piece of foam to stabilize the handle. The second one went in quicker than the first.
Gloss black. It's looks pretty good. At one point before repainting I tried to rub it out and that gave it a different but kind of cool look. While sanding it for the second attempt it also took on a cool look as it looked distressed. It would be nice to do an entire cockpit distressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment