Saturday, December 15, 2012

Page 07-05 Build Time: 62 hrs
Rudder complete


Finished the rudder this weekend. Was hoping for faster progress but between riveting and re-reviting (and drilling out rivets) and test fitting the rudder to the vstab the time just added up. After drilling out the first three rivets I've moved onto using the rivet gun. There's no point in not using the correct tools for the job. I'm sure plenty have used squeezers to complete the project but the gun produces superior results. I wasn't satisfied with the shop head using the squeezer. I had to take some time to practice on a few pieces of scrap but once I got started I could set the head to spec in one shot.

I also can't say enough about the pneumatic puller. I can't imagine doing this without it although I've read plenty of blogs where people are trying. The tool produces consistent results every time.




Vans called this week and the finish, wings and fuselage kits are ready. I'll drive up and pick them up next week and take the tour. I'll have the wing spars shipped since my truck won't hold anything that long. It was part of the plan to make the pilgrimage so I'll follow through with but I will loose a day of build time driving up and back. It will be a struggle to fit this stuff in the shop while I'm building but I'll have to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment