Sunday, December 9, 2012

Page 06-07 Build Time: 54 hrs
Vertical Stab Complete

Took a total of 7 hours to assemble the V-Stab. I thought it would go a little faster but there's still the aspect of getting all the little bits together and making sure you have all the right screws, bolts and washers.
While assembling the VS skeleton I noticed that rib VS-1207 had it's two forward holes drilled for #40 so I drilled them out for #30. The primer came out very nice. No big deal on the thickness as weight was not a problem. The total added weight for the VS from primer was 2.6 oz. Total added weight of the rudder is 2.2 oz

I test fit the ribs to the skin that needed radius and took a little extra off just for good measure. After cleco everything looked fine. I started riveting one side and about half way through I decided to start down the other side. I started at the holes that were at the tips of the spar and ribs where the radius was and as soon as I pulled a rivet over the front spar I saw a little bulge. So I hit all three spots with one rivet to see how bad it was. It wasn't that bad and in hind sight part of the bulge may have been from test fitting it before but I couldn't live with it. So out came all the clecos from that side and I carefully drilled out the rivet. Then I had to open up the skin and gently shave back the front spar and a bit on one of the ribs. I could see I made a difference so I clecoed everything up and it looked good. I inspected the area and could tell that the front spar was no longer in the area where it had bulged so back to riveting.
I can't say enough about this primer. It's a lot of work but the parts look excellent. In just one day it's hard as nails. It makes for a very professional job.

Here's a shot of the skeleton going into the skin.. just like the book!
And of course we need a pic of the very first rivet. The pneumatic puller I have is excellent and makes quick work of getting the rivet in.

No comments:

Post a Comment