Sunday, November 16, 2014

Section 21 Build Time: 718 hours

Making progress on section 21. I have about 1 more day of parts to assemble before it's complete. Van's claims that the average build is 800 hours and I'm not far from that. I don't see it taking more than 1100 or so as I'm starting to run out of parts. This is the part where there's a lot of detail to work with and the building goes slowly. I now have a hanger but I won't move the project out of the house until it's too big. It's just too convenient to walk out to the shop and work. I'll keep the Cessna there for now. Several hangers came up at once and I expect to have to move the project around April so I went for it. It takes about a year or so to get through the list.
Last bit of parts for section 21.
Bottom skin ready to go.
The rest of the parts for section 21.
Finally ran into the blue plastic problem after nearly 2 years.  This piece had blue ink for the markings and all the other parts had red ink so clearly it's from a different production run. I'm hoping I don't run into to much of this although there's not a lot of parts left at this point.
Building up the 1203 bulkhead.
Forward spar receptacle coming together. The actual spar receptacle had clear plastic on it. I knew this and thought I had peeled it off. I caught it while priming it so I had to stop, etch, alodine and paint it again.
The 1203 bulkhead assembly.
The 1203 looking all beefy.
Them's flyin parts. The powder coated tube is where the sticks will attach. This is the business end of flying the airplane. Getting excited to see some of this in the plane.
A long weekend of priming and assembly. Got to the point where next step if to flip it over and skin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment