Monday, November 12, 2012

Page 06-02 - Build Time: 10 hrs

Finally building an airplane. Built out the Rudder Bering attachments less the riveting. That will come post primer. Ah, primer. Yes there will be primer.

I've settled on Stewart Systems because it cleans up with water and it's touted a less toxic. I spoke to one of the guys at Stewart and he felt that unless your less than 50 miles from the ocean don't bother with the inside - and I would agree. I'm around 30 miles from the real salty stuff. I've decided to use primer sealer on the ribs and the epoxy based on anything that isn't aclad. I'll use the epoxy on the inside of the fuselage to protect from fluids.

I took on the rear spar caps and those are ready for match drilling. I also took on a bit of de-burring on the mid ribs and front spar. Removed the material as noted in the build book. I really do like working with aluminum because it's so pliable. It's great to sit in the shop and craft each part thinking of how early pioneers of flight took on building their machines a part at a time.
The tools are working out. I'm very happy to have a chance to use the stuff I've been accumulating since A&P school. The right tool makes all the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment