Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A Major Milestone: Off to Paint - build time 1290 hrs

    Today was a major day in the build. The wings, vertical stabilizer and rudder, horizontal stabilator and trim tabs and flapperons all went south with Juan to T&P Aero for paint. I may not see them again until they are painted but after painting the Cessna this year chances are that I'll be down there at some point making a decision or just checking things out.
    Building has been a bit slow as I had to jump around to get the parts ready for paint. The Flaperons needed to be rigged to the control arms and once they left the living room they weren't going back which meant they were in the way and had to be moved in and out of the shop to work on anything. Also, I put in the skin doublers and had to finish out the wing tip lights but I managed to get all that done while working through the wheel fairings. I'm pretty much done with the mains and close on the nose fairing. Fiberglass work is messy and takes time to get it right.
    Once the nose fairing is done I'm going after the canopy. I hope to finish that over the Christmas break and should be able to as long as I put in solid days. Only the cowl and the tank remain after that but there are always little things that need attention now.
These rivet needed to be filed down after being pulled.
Here's a shot before filing. The forums had lot's of folks that ran into this. Looking at the length of the rivet I suspect it's too long for the job thus the mandrel is breaking outside of the rivet.
Wing doubler attached.
Tip lights attached and ready for paint.
Packing up everything for the drive down to KSNS.
Close it up. I hope it doesn't take a spill. That's more than a years work in there.

2 comments:

  1. That's not how I imagined the pro-seal would look on the wing tip fairings. The pro-seal is underneath, right? Showing through the translucent fiberglass? Do you think the 1 oz size from Vans is enough for both sides? Or do I need 1 oz for each fairing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there may be those out there that can do a better job but once it's primed and painted you will never see the pro-seal. One ounce was just enough but don't get carried away.

      Delete