Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sections 11, 12, 32 and some of 10

I put off attaching the tail feathers to the cone because I didn't want to take it on and off and it couldn't be stored that way. Now it's time to work through all the various parts of the different chapters and check for clearance, create the fairings and make sure everything is complete. The tail cone fairing is slow going. There is so much trimming, sanding, checking - rinse and repeat. I'm at the point where I'm making sure the stabilator can rotate with an eight inch clearance and it's rubbing. The forum has some thread where everyone runs into this and they are generally shaving down the aluminum on the stabilator. Before I read that I marked up the fairing to sand it some more and make it clear all the moving parts but I didn't do anything with it yet. It would be much easier to just file the  stabilator so tomorrow I'll call Vans and see what they say. In any case it's slow going right now, three weekends in and still not finished. If I decide to just shave the aluminum I should be able to finish it in one day.
Really starting to look like it will fly.
Sand, assemble, measure, test, disassemble, repeat...
Very happy with how the AST tab turned out - everything lined up. Pretty sure this is the first time it's all been together although I may have put the hinge pin in once.


No comments:

Post a Comment